Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lenten-Friendly Recipe Week: Day 2

Finally a fishy (sort of) success!
   I concocted an original Lenten -friendly recipe today and was successful!!!  Thank goodness! And for those of you who read on a daily basis, this is not a planned recipe for the week.  Yesterday was a bittersweet day, although many pieces of food fortune came my way, I experienced a bump in the road come the afternoon.
  We had an after school meeting that concluded around 3:30.  I also was hosting a few of my ADL Peer Leaders, who are presenting at the annual youth congress this week,  to prepare materials for the event.  After the girls finished their posters, I gathered my materials and realized my jacket was missing.  I have had this problem before with this traditional black North Face fleece, because students mistake it for their own, and take it home.  Today's problem:  My keys were in the coat pocket!
  After searching most classrooms and lost and found bins in the school, I aborted the "find coat now" procedure and sought out a ride home. My two friends, Elise and Beth, graciously offered to drive me, and to pick up Tucker on the way.  Such great girls!  Elise ended up driving me and grabing Tucker.  Tuck and I made it home around 5, and I was starving.  Of course I was planning on getting home much earlier, and making a croc pot dish.  I postponed this meal for later in the week, and started concoting an orginal dish.


Quinoa to the Rescue!!

 The ingredients are as follows:
Parmesan quinoa scramble
  Ingredients:
1.5 c cooked quinoa
1/2  97% fat free chicken or veggie broth
1 bag baby spinach
a crown of broccoli
1/2 c parmesan cheese
15 shrimp (cooked) or 2 breast of chicken (sauteed) for a non-lenten option.
3 tbs garlic
3 tbs margarine

Instructions:
-Cook the quinoa
-Sautee chicken
-Add veggies and margarine, sauté
-Add quinoa, chicken both and cheese
-Turn the burner down to low and mix all together

MMMMmmm Good! (this is before I added the shrimp)

I LOVE this recipe!  It was quick, nutritious and delicious!  Not to mention, it fits in nicely with this weeks Lenten -friendly recipes.
This has nothing to do with my concoction, but I wanted to share my gorgeous floral view from the dinner table!  I love the color combination with this piece of wall art.  If only fresh flowers didn't die!


Enjoy it , vary it, and let me know how it turns out!

xoxo,
Jeanie

Questions of the day:
  What is your take on quinoa? 

Some people despise quinoa, but I welcome it into my kitchen!  The thing with quinoa is,  it doesn't hold a lot of natural flavor, so you need to pair this grain with other flavorful ingredients. It also cooks up quick, is convenient and nutritious; god knows those three aren't found together too often!
Quick + Convenient + Nutritious =  Welcome, stay a while!


No comments:

Post a Comment