Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kickin' Cancer's SASS!

Like I previously mentioned, today was my first (hopefully of many) team cycle-a-thon for rare cancers.  The ride, Cycle for Survival, is put forth by Memorial Sloan-Kettering, the world's largest and oldest private cancer center.  Team SASS raised almost $7000 for rare cancer research, and had a blast kickin' cancer's sass this afternoon.  The host gym, Equinox Boston, was by far the nicest, cleanest and moat luxurious fitness club I have ever be to!  This place was posh from the moment you walked in the door!
  Lucky for me and my hungry self, Cycle for Survival had a well-stocked food station set up with a wide variety of food options.  While there, I munched on Cabot's new 75% fat free cheese (which was great, but I am always concerned with melting capabilities with reduced and low fat cheeses), a vitamin water, an Odawalla banana nut bar, and an apple. Smartwater was a sponsor of the event and they were everywhere!  So in the words of the great Forest Gump:  " I had me about 7 Smartwaters!"
  Tomorrow I will write a more serious post about my experience with the cycle-a-thon, the speeches made,  and the inspiration and perseverance observed by participants, survivors and families,  BUT I need a day to compose my thoughts.  I also want to include photos, and I will need a few hours to do so.  It will be worth the wait!

Before I left this morning, I made a Greek Yogurt Banana Blueberry bread that was VERY tasty.  I will share the recipe with you folks below:
Greek Yogurt Banana Blueberry Bread :)

Ingredients (Adapted from nosugarsweetlife.com)

1 1⁄2 cup
 Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3 tablespoons
 Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoon
 Baking Powder
1⁄2 teaspoon
 kosher salt ((optional))
1⁄2 cup
 Brown Sugar (or 1/4 cup agave nectar)
1 teaspoon
 Vanilla Extract
 
 Large ripe bananas (I only had two so I used what I had)
 
 Eggs
6 ounces
 Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt (or Blueberry) ( I used plain)
1 cup
 Blueberries

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Start by combining flour, baking powder, salt in a large mixing bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, mash bananas with a fork until they are gooey and liquid-like.
  3. Add eggs, vanilla and brown sugar… mix thoroughly.
  4. Add greek yogurt
  5. Whisk until everything is well combined and there are no lumps.
  6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.  At this point, add berries
  7. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and distribute evenly. ( I also floured the loaf, because I wasn't reading the directions and assumed.  It came out fine though)
  8. Put into the oven and bake for one hour, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

Happy Eating!  Stay tuned for a detailed post about the ride!
xo,
Jeanie

No comments:

Post a Comment