Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Jeanie's Fab Five

Good Afternoon!
  Sorry I have been a mystery blogger for the last couple days.  This time of the year always proves to be a busy one, and this year is living up to history for sure!  I titled this post "Jeanie's Fab Five" to share some Fabulous events, milestones and other exciting things that have occurred over the few days I've been away.  Translation- I'm getting you in the know!

1)  Brain Tumor Benefit at the Turnpike:
 Last Saturday marked the Riders for Rohan's first (and hopefully annual) benefit event.  The night consisted of various raffles, a silent auction, some food, live music and inexpensive and thirst-quenching drinks (haha).  Our turn out was truly remarkable, and we raised a total of $7000 for the National Brain Tumor Society!!  I couldn't be more thrilled with the turn out, the large amount of money raised  and the teamwork that went into planning for this event!  I am also so thankful for my friends and family who donated items, attended, or assisted in making this night  so .... EPIC!!!
 
Lauren and I <3
Specifically my oldest friend, Lauren Goodman, got a babysitter and attended.  Lauren lost her grandmother to brain cancer and has always been very supportive of my efforts.  Although we don't see each other that often, when we do it is like we are still 10 years old again and diving for crabs down the cape!  We had a ball dancing and singing along to a few country cover songs, and she was even lucky enough to win a massage raffle item!
Lauren, Katie, Will and me in my blue shift dress !!!
I was also so  happy to see my best friend, Katie and her fiance Andrew, my brother Will, Mark and my old friend Tim.  Tim and I went to high school together, and participated in many events at our church.  Although we talk all the time using social media and text messaging, we have not  been face to face in years, and it was great to reconnect.
Tim and I
 Thanks so much for coming!
2) Brain Tumor Breakfast and the Start of Brain Tumor Awareness Month at School:
  Right after Sarah's surgery I had "Grey Matters" bracelets made to raise funds and show support among the school community.  The bracelets were a HUGE success, and an integral part of my fundraising last year.  We decided to get them made again this year, with a slightly different, neon green color scheme.
 Today, May 1st, was our first day of sales at all three school lunches. To begin Brain Tumor Awareness Month with a bang,  Sarah and I also hosted a breakfast  for the faculty this morning. A bang is an understatement,  because we raised a total of $214.75 between the bracelets and the breakfast... in one day!!  I am so overwhelmed by everyone's support and generosity.  Not to mention, the breakfast was delicious.  I made a french toast casserole that is by no means healthy, but it sure is good!  I will post the recipe soon.
3)  Middle School Track
  Last week, marked the start of a busy, but fun season:  middle school track.  The past three years I have coached the middle school track program.  It is great to see your students in a more physical light, but it definitely affects my own workout regime!  Since track began, my cardio has been dwindling;  but I determined to get back on track!  All in all, I love seeing  past students, and meeting new kids while at track.  It is also rewarding to see kids trying something new, and perhaps something they will stick with for life.
4)  Katie's Shower:
  The plans are well underway for Katie's shower this weekend.  I am so excited to see her in her gorgeous Lilly dress, and spend time with girls I have not seen in years.  I am also very excited that my blue shift dress (seen above in benefit photos), which was spilled on at the benefit, is now stainless!  I worked some Pinterest magic on the stain, and it is no longer.  SCORE!  I will not say much more about the shower, because Katie often reads my blog, but it will be very fun, creative and up her alley!
5)  Professional Status:
The last of the fab five items is VERY close to my heart.  Today, May 1st 2013, I received professional status at my school.  For those of you unfamiliar with public education, teachers work their first three years as non-professional teachers or "not tenured".  After three years of positive observations, work ethic and overall performance, you can achieve professional status.  Since I have been teaching for six years, I have come close to tenure before, while teaching at my past district;  but was laid off and forced to find a new placement before the three years and one day time period.  This means I had to start over. I am so thrilled to be considered a "professional" teacher, even though I know I am far from that.  I learn something new from my students and colleagues every day, and that is one perk of my job.  I want to publicly thanks all my fellow teacher friends for helping me in some way, shape, or form to get to this place.  I would not be the teacher I am today without all of you.  So, THANKS!!!!

As you can see this week has been BUSY.  OH I almost forgot,  I also wrote a guest post for a blog I love to read, Southern Belle Living Well.  The blogger, Avery, is a high school student with amazing writing skills, maturity and a fantastic head on her shoulders.  She too was having a busy week and was seeking guest posts.  I volunteered and my piece on "perfect pack-ables" will be on her blog soon, so stay tuned!
xoxo,
Jeanie
ps.  What's the "fab five" for you week thus far? 

No comments:

Post a Comment